70 Marquette St
From 1914 to 1922 the Gardner Council Boy Scouts of America was chartered from National BSA to oversea the Boy Scout program in the following towns: Royalston, Winchendon, Orange, Athol, Phillipston, Templeton, Westminster, Dana (see note #1), Petersham, Hubbardston, Barre and Hardwick. With headquarters in the City of Gardner. From 1923 to 1992 the council name was changed to Monadnock Council BSA.
In its early years the council headquarters was in an upstairs office in down town Gardner. During the late 1950’s to early 1960’s the GFA (Gardner Franco American Credit Union) on Parker Street in Gardner out grew its business location, donated the building to the Boy Scout Council with the provision that it was moved to its present location at 70 Marquette St. The council executive board at that time placed the property ownership in a trust separate from the Boy Scouts of America.
As of December 31, 1992 National BSA merged the Monadnock Council with the Nashua Valley Council to the east. During the 1993 year the council moved the Gardner operations to the Lancaster facility and returned the keys to the existing trustees. The trustees renovated and sold the property in accordance to stipulations in the original trust documents.
Research Contributed by Scott R., Scoutmaster of Troop 4, Gardner