69 Park Street
Gardner, MA, 01440
1805 marked the beginning of Gardner’s legacy as “The Chair City”, when James Maltman Comee founded the city’s first chair business in Gardner out of his house on Pearl St. located near the center of town. In fact, Mr. Comee was so influential that the nearby Comee St. was undoubtedly named after him. Aside from his talents in manufacturing and business, Comee was exceptionally well-liked and respected by his fellow residents of Gardner.
Having existed with no local competition and having been so innovative (the factory was especially well known for its flag-bottomed chairs), Comee’s factory became the city’s principal business and a significant means of communication with surrounding towns. Of course, this became a long-standing tradition, with Gardner’s furniture industry continuing to grow through nationally utilized businesses such as Nichols and Stone.
Research Contributed by Natalie J.